Regular Hygiene Visits
Our team of hygienists and doctors will ensure your oral health is in top shape through periodic cleanings (prophylaxis) and exams. Diagnostic x-rays, periodontal charting and oral health instruction will be regularly performed in accordance to best standards of practice. For first-time patients, visit our New Patients section.
During each cleaning appointment, the hygienists are trained to:
- Perform an oral cancer and abnormal lesion screening
- Measure the health of gums and compare with past and baseline periodontal charting
- Identify areas of inflammation and infection
- Identify areas of weak attachment and recession of the gums
- Identify and discuss plaque (bacteria biofilm) and tartar (calculus) management with individualized oral hygiene instructions
- Start initial treatment of infected or abnormal gums
- Take diagnostic radiographs when required to identify dental pathology and problemsI
- Inform and educate about solutions to problems that address patient-specific needs
Periodontal Therapy and Maintenance
Some patients need more frequent regular cleanings to maintain proper oral health and periodontal (gum) care. The goal of achieving healthy gums and supporting structures of the teeth may call for additional non-surgical procedures and subsequent periodontal maintenance cleanings.
Scaling and Root Planing
Also known as a deep cleaning, Scaling and Root Planing (SRP) is necessary for the removal of all causative factors (hard calculus buildup and plaque bacteria) within deep pockets. SRP helps to control and stop the progression of active gum disease, which if left untreated may lead to irreversible damage of the gums and supporting periodontal ligaments of the teeth. Untreated active gum disease may lead to severe damage that can lead to tooth loss. The use of localized anesthesia is provided for patient comfort during a deep cleaning. Sometimes, multiple visits are necessary to complete this treatment. After completion, patients return for regular 3-month periodontal maintenance cleanings to monitor gums as they return to stabilization and prevent further harmful gum disease.
Hard Night Guards
Teeth grinding (bruxism) and clenching can not only cause pain in the temporo-mandibular joints (TMJ), but also cause issues on the teeth and supporting tissues. Visible wear, reduced enamel and fractures of the teeth as well as recessed gums can be the result of grinding and/or clenching. We provide professionally made custom hard night guards, which are effective in reducing permanent damage of the teeth and gums.